Chalk paint has been gaining popularity as one trendy coating nowadays, but can you use chalk paint on kitchen cabinets? There is so much more to chalk paint than what meets the eye.
In this article, we will find out if it is indeed useful as a finishing for your kitchen cabinets and furniture surfaces.
Can You Use Chalk Paint on Kitchen Cabinets?
There is a high probability that you have already seen a piece of furniture that has a pastel-like matte finish.
This is how people would describe a chalk paint coating, and I can confirm that it is simply elegant.
However, you might be wondering: can you chalk paint kitchen cabinets and other furniture at home? Definitely!
A Novel Coating
Let us first take a cursory look at how the chalk paint gained its status. The product “Chalk Paint” is actually formulated in the year 1990 by its creator, Annie Sloan.
Eventually, it was trademarked and retailed exclusively by Annie Sloan’s self-named company. This is one reason why chalk paint has become a household name.
Can you chalk paint kitchen cabinets directly? Yes. Can you use chalk paint on kitchen cabinets that are not made of wood? Another yes.
You can apply it to a wide range of materials – wood, metal, glass, and even fabric. Chalk paint is, indeed, a furniture designer’s best friend.
Benefits and Tradeoffs that Come with Using Chalk Paint
People go gaga over chalk paint due to the numerous advantages that they have over conventional paint and other similar materials.
However, this product is not completely perfect. It still has a couple of drawbacks that you may need to consider.
Right now, you may be thinking: when can you chalk paint kitchen cabinets? Well, the best time to start using chalk paint is after you weigh out these pros and cons.
- Chalk paint is multi-purpose. As mentioned before, you have the freedom to use it on a myriad of surfaces, from wood to plastic to fabric.
- Can you use chalk paint on outdoor kitchen cabinets? Yes! This product is known for its durability and can withstand both indoor and outdoor environments.
- As stated by Annie Sloan herself, you don’t need to go through the rigorous process of sanding and priming. You can apply her invention on furniture surfaces right away!
- Chalk paint colors are inspired by 18th and 20th-century aesthetics. If you are into classic and rustic looks, you will surely like the palettes.
- This paint is water-based, which means that it is easier to clean up and correct! Another good thing about being water-based is that it does not smell as pungently as oil-based paints. Can you chalk paint kitchen cabinets without your entire house reeking of chemicals? You surely can.
- Because it is a trademarked product, chalk paint tends to be pricier compared to traditional furniture coatings. You may get products advertised as having a “chalky finish” but those do not come close to the quality of Annie Sloan’s chalk paint.
- Chalk paint needs multiple wax coatings to secure it. The wax does not in any way affect the hue or texture of the paint, but it increases its resistance to scratching.
- While chalk paint dries up quickly, the curing period can be a bit long. Can you chalk paint kitchen cabinets that are constantly used? Of course, but you have to be careful not to scratch or damage them.
Misconceptions About Chalk Paint
If you have this question in mind, then you clearly have misconceptions about what chalk paint is. To set the record straight, this product is not used for making chalkboards.
Can you chalk paint kitchen cabinets and other surfaces to transform them into chalkboards?
Chalk paint is a water-based coating that is mainly used for furniture but can also be applied to other surfaces.
Moreover, some people think that chalk paint can be bought from other stores. That is another no-no. To emphasize, the brand name “Chalk Paint” is trademarked by Annie Sloan.
Products that try to have similar properties as Annie’s chalk paint describe themselves as “chalky-finish coatings” or such.
Can you chalk paint kitchen cabinets with coatings that are not from Annie Sloan?
Technically, you can, although you might not get the finish that you are looking for.
How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets with Chalk Paint
Now, you have an idea of what chalk paint is capable of. Not only is chalk paint good for kitchen cabinets, but it is also useful for other surfaces in your kitchen.
I think you already want to know how to paint kitchen cabinets with chalk paint.
Steps on How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets with Chalk Paint
We will give tips for that! You will also discover the wonderful technique called distressing, and how to distress kitchen cabinets with chalk paint.
- Remove cabinet doors and clean them with soap and water. Let dry.
- Select your preferred brush. Wider brushes are ideal for wide surfaces.
- Choose the color of chalk paint that you want and adjust its consistency.
- Start painting! Annie Sloan suggests that you use feathering for a smoother finish.
- After letting the first coat of paint dry, apply a second coat using the same method.
- Apply wax. Let dry for a day.
- Apply a second coating of wax.
- Lastly, buff your finished surface with a cotton cloth.
- You can then return the cabinet doors in place. However, the curing process will last for two weeks, so be extra careful not to scratch your cabinet doors.
Just a reminder, this series of steps on how to paint kitchen cabinets with chalk paint is inspired by the instructional videos from Annie Sloan’s website.
Can you use chalk paint on kitchen cabinets even without professional experience? You surely can. Their videos are intuitive enough for everyone to follow.
How to Distress Kitchen Cabinets with Chalk Paint
Annie Sloan’s website also gave several tips on how to distress kitchen cabinets with chalk paint. The following are just a few things to remember.
Before we talk about how to distress kitchen cabinets with chalk paint, let us first define what distressing is.
In the context of furniture design, when you are distressing any fixture, you are giving it a weathered look. The goal is to make it appear as though it is aged, like an antique.
One common way to distress through painting is by using layers of two different colors.
When done properly, this would result in a look that is aged yet elegant.
- Use the chalk paint as you would do ordinarily. However, instead of using the same color of chalk paint for the second layer, use another color. You can be as artistic as you want.
- Wax and buff the surface of the cabinet door once the chalk paint dries.
- Sand with sanding pants. The friction generated by sanding will create a weathered appearance. Be as creative as possible.
- Once satisfied, clean off the dust and apply the last layer of wax. Let dry.
Can you use chalk paint by employing other techniques? Yes! In reality, there is no single methodology on how to distress kitchen cabinets with chalk paint.
Distressing gives you the freedom to let loose the artist within you.
Chalk Paint for A Complete Kitchen Transformation
This coating product brims with a versatility that makes it widely applicable. With chalk paint, you can actually give your entire kitchen a radical makeover.
Is chalk paint good for kitchen cabinets only? Of course not!
Not only is chalk paint good for kitchen cabinets, but it also works well with kitchen tables and chairs.
To work with tables and chairs, you can essentially use the same methods on how to paint kitchen cabinets with chalk paint. Alternatively, you may consider applying more layers to ensure longevity.
If your kitchen has curtains, then you can also transform them using chalk paint. This product, because it is water-based, can be applied as a dye for a wide variety of fabrics.
Additionally, chalk paint can find its way into flower vases, old figures, and other kitchen accessories.
Not only is chalk paint good for kitchen cabinets, but also for the entire kitchen. The possibilities are endless.
Getting Ready for the Makeover
Can you use chalk paint on kitchen cabinets and other surfaces even if you are not a professional furniture designer? Yes, of course!
Annie Sloan formulated this product not only for the experts but also for those who like decorating as a hobby.
We went through the advantages and disadvantages of using chalk paint, and we also went through some steps on how to use this product.
Now, you are aware that not only is chalk paint good for kitchen cabinets, but it is also useful for other items in your kitchen.
So, what are you waiting for? Get ready for your kitchen makeover!