Knowing where to put knobs and handles on kitchen cabinets is crucial as it can make or break your kitchen’s look. If placed incorrectly, it can make them look awkward and out of place in the cabinet panels.
Where to Put Knobs and Handles on Kitchen Cabinets
Since there are various places where to put knobs and handles on kitchen cabinets, it’s crucial to differentiate them. With that, here is a comprehensive guideline that will help you decide where to put knobs and handles on kitchen cabinets:
Proper Knob Placements
Let’s start with the knobs on where to put knobs and handles on kitchen cabinets. It is one of the most common kitchen cabinet handles.
Knobs come in different styles, shapes, sizes, and finishes. The choice of knob design will be up to your preference.
But there is a proper installation placement that you have to take note of. Here are they:
On Cabinet Doors
The most common placement of knobs on cabinetry doors is opposite the door hinge and are usually mounted on the stile. Here are some notes on knob placement on upper cabinets and base cabinets:
- Upper cabinets: The knob must keep a distance of 2 ½ to 3 inches from the door panel’s bottom corner.
- Base cabinets: The knob must keep a distance of 2 ½ to 3 inches from the door panels’ upper corner.
How you place knobs on drawers varies depending on size. Here are some notes on knob placement on drawers on where to put knobs and handles on kitchen cabinets:
- Under 24 inches in width: Place the knob on the center of the panel. Depending on your preference, you can position it horizontally or vertically.
If you choose to install it horizontally, make sure to install the knob within the upper third part of the drawer panel.
- More than 24 inches in width: For this width of drawers, you can opt for a second knob for easier opening and closing.
Here, you’ll have to divide the drawer panel into three equal parts. Install the two knobs on the first and third parts of this division.
Perfect Handle Placement
Handles include all types of pulls that are common in kitchen cabinet doors.
Since these typically consume more space than knobs, there is also a different way to install them. Here are some notes on handle placement on where to put knobs and handles on kitchen cabinets:
On Cabinet Doors
There are a lot of ways of installing handles on where to put knobs and handles on kitchen cabinets. Here are some notes you might find helpful:
- Wall cabinets: The common way is to place the handle so it extends towards the bottom rail for easy reaching.
- Cabinets with bamboo aesthetic: Follow a horizontal handle placement.
- Base cabinets: The common way is to place the handle so it extends on the top rail for easy reaching.
There’s no hard and fast rule for handles since they have a larger space scope. Depending on your preference, you also try placing them higher or lower.
Like on cabinet doors, there are also various ways of handle placement for drawers. Here are some of them:
- Place it right on the center for a symmetrical look (the downside is a difficulty in reaching especially for bottom drawers).
- Center the handle on the top drawer, while positioning the handles on top rails for lower drawers. This placement boosts functionality for different heights of household members.
- Place the handles on the top rails of the drawers.
- Position the handles on the top quarter part of slab drawers and on the rails of the decorative fronts.
- For wider drawers, you can install two small handles by dividing the surface into three portions. Then, place the handles on the center of the first and third portions.
More About Where to Put Handles on Kitchen Cabinets
One of the quickest and most efficient ways to transform your kitchen cabinets is to install new handles.
For this project, you will need to know where to put handles on kitchen cabinets. And for this, you will need some pro tips and tricks to guide you.
But first, let’s look at the reasons how knowing where to put handles on kitchen cabinets creates magic.
- Kitchen cabinet handles stand out from the rest of the kitchen cabinetry.
- You can customize them according to your preference. You can choose monochrome colors, colorful designs, or even detailed handle designs.
- You can choose from among different types of materials and finishes. There are handles available made from glass, bronze, cast-iron, etc.
Now, let’s proceed to the tips on how and where to put handles on kitchen cabinets:
You Don’t Need a Strict Measurement
While mathematical measurement does help, you can also use a simple and smart visual positioning.
Note that different handles look different in appearance. Plus, your kitchen cabinet may also differ from the standard ones.
As such, even if you follow the exact measurements, the final result may be amiss. Without taking visual positioning into consideration, your kitchen cabinet will end up looking off.
Hence, make sure to take a clear picture of the cabinet panel and test out different handle placements before drilling.
At first glance, it will immediately give you an idea of an out-of-place visual placement.
Install the Handles by Rows and Columns
Once you know where to put handles on kitchen cabinets, create a timeframe of where you’ll put them.
Putting one handle every other day will deplete your energy and may even cause mistakes. As such, make sure to install the handles by a horizontal row or vertical column.
Install them by an entire set not one by one. It will speed up the process and even boost accuracy since you get used to install them.
Use Masking Tape to Avoid Damage While Drilling
Simply using masking tape on the area where you will drill can do a lot in preventing damage. It can save the cabinet surface from grooves once finished.
For the optimum results, make sure to drill gently and slowly to prevent the backend from chipping out.
Where to Put Knobs and Handles on Kitchen Cabinets | Additional Considerations
Even if you choose the most stunning hardware designs, you’re putting them to waste without the proper placement.
That’s the reason why knowing where to put knobs and handles on kitchen cabinets is highly crucial. It’s a surefire way to make your kitchen cabinet project on the level of a professional.
Aside from its decorative function, it’s also vital to keep in mind its practical function. A knob or handle placed in an unusual place can impact how you use them.
You may find yourself having difficulties accessing them in the most critical moments. Furthermore, once it takes a toll on your patience, you will have to spend more time and effort reinstalling them properly.
With that, here are some tips on the things you should and should not do on where to put knobs and handles on kitchen cabinets:
- Calm down and take your time in the installation process.
- Put your utmost attention to the work.
- Use the right tools for the installation of new handles.
- Level the cabinet doors and drawers before proceeding to drill holes.
- Use a template and jig to mark the spots where you will drill a hole. You can either purchase this or make them yourself.
- Cover all holes using backplates or putty.
- Drill the new screws on top of old holes when replacing handles.
- Drill from the front door to prevent damage on the backside of the cabinet.
- Make sure that the installation is tight and gripping the handle feels secure in your hand.
You Should Not…
- Use cheap plastic tools for installing the new handles.
- Prioritize style over function. Doing so will take a toll on you in the long run since you will frequently open and close your kitchen cabinets.
- Place the knobs or handles in an odd and unpractical manner.
- Jump right ahead into drilling holes without testing the placement of the knobs and handles first.
- Confuse the proper placement of knobs from pulls and vice versa.
- Drill forcefully right from the beginning. Otherwise, you’re setting your cabinet up for damage and risk of mistake such as drilling a bigger hole than necessary.
Master the Art of Kitchen Cabinet Hardware
Kitchen cabinet hardware plays a huge role in both the performance and appeal of kitchen cabinets. It can turn into a chaotic mess if you don’t know where to put knobs and handles on kitchen cabinets.
Especially if you’re switching to a new type of handle, it’s crucial to first assess its measurement before installing them.
Because keep in mind that not all types and sizes of handles may look good in your particular unit.
We hope this guide helped you in preparing for your kitchen cabinet revamp.